The summer of 2015 was the Earth’s hottest in recorded history, according to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), and record heat is expected once again for the upcoming summer of 2016.
With yet another scorching summer upon us, it’s imperative that both employers and employees are aware and prepared for the dangers of heat stress. Workers exposed to extreme heat (both indoor and outdoor) may be at risk for heat stroke, which can lead to serious illness and even death. Forklift operators are especially at risk, since they often perform long shifts in these conditions.
Under the General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) of 1970, employers are required to provide their employees with a place of employment that "is free from recognizable hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious harm to employees." The courts have interpreted OSHA's general duty clause to mean that an employer has a legal obligation to provide a workplace free of conditions or activities that either the employer or industry recognizes as hazardous and that cause, or are likely to cause, death or serious physical harm to employees when there is a feasible method to abate the hazard. This includes heat-related hazards.
Keytroller, a designer, manufacturer and supplier of electronic safety and weighing devices, has unveiled two products to combat this serious issue: The COOLTROLLER Dual Fan Cooling Forklift Seat Cushion and COOLTROLLER Double Headed Operator Cooling Fans.
“Employers have a responsibility to protect their employees from the brutal summer heat, but protection also significantly impacts the bottom line, since productivity notoriously slows down during the summer,” says Terry Wickman, President of Keytroller. “Keeping your forklift operators safe from the summer heat ensures better productivity for tomorrow and years beyond.”
COOLTROLLER Dual Fan Cooling Forklift Seat Cushion
- 16" x 16" seat with two input fans and heavy-duty bamboo platelets for dispersing air out;
- 5' cable (12VDC input only) voltage converter required for 24-48VDC vehicles;
- On/off switch in line in cable - should be connected to switched power;
- Easy to install – simply place on seat or back of seat;
- Sized to fit any seat;
- Moving air continuously cools driver’s bottom or back;
- Low current draw of 3W - minimum load on vehicle electrical system.
COOLTROLLER Double Headed Operator Cooling Fans
- Dual adjustable position fans - each fan head is independently adjustable (360 degree both horizontal and vertical);
- 5' cable (12VDC input only) - voltage converter required for 24-48VDC vehicles;
- On/off switch on device with Hi/Lo settings - should be connected to switched power;
- Easy to install - mounts to overhead guard, in front, behind or beside the operator;
- 100% pure copper motors;
- Ultra quiet - low noise design <45dB;
- 8”H X 3.5” D X 5.5” H.
From May 1 - Sept. 1, Keytroller is giving away a FREE COOLTROLLER with the purchase of every LCD access monitoring system.